- Processing of edible materials (e.g., grinding, cutting, mixing)
- Cooking methods and techniques (e.g., broiling, roasting, baking, boiling, frying)
- Use of special apparatus (e.g., mills, motors, earth ovens, stoves)
- Use of cooking implements and utensils; recipes
- Associated beliefs and practices; etc.
Data on culturally elaborated or commercialized techniques of food preparation should be filed under the more specialized categories below.
- Household implements and utensils 41
- Meals 264
- Slaughtering 231
- Cookhouses 343
- Manufacture of butter and cheese 234
- Ovens and stoves 354
- Condiments 263
- Fire and fuel 372
Outline of Cultural Materials. George P. Murdock, et al., eds. New Haven, Conn. Human Relations Area Files, Inc. 1961. xxv, 164 p.